Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Beef and Broccoli over rice w/ Asian Salad

Trying to make my favorite recipes into healthier versions has been easier than I thought.  It has also been surprisingly delicious.  Tonight's dinner will include Asian Beef and broccoli over white rice.  I will also try to make a delicious Asian salad using store-bought plain salad, a vinagrette made from sesame oil, garlic, ginger, rice wine vinegar, green onions & brown sugar.  I love sunflower seeds and even though these may not be "Asian" I will put lots of these in my salad.  Other veggies in my salad include: carrots & snow peas.

Finding a good sauce for the beef and broccoli was a bit difficult.  The one I normally make is very high-sodium.  So, I've adapted a completely different recipe:

Beef and Broccoli 

16-18 oz. Beef Sirloin, thinly sliced into strips
1 head of broccoli, cut into pieces
3 green onions, chopped, diagnally, white and light green parts only
2 TBSP corn starch or flour
1/4 cup beef stock or water
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
4 garlic cloves, pressed
1 TBSP minced or finely shredded ginger
3 TBSP brown sugar
3 TBSP sesame oil

Dredge the steak in corn starch or flour.  Place 2 TBSP sesame oil in a hot wok and cook steak for 5 minutes.  While steak cooks in a small skillet add 1 TBSP sesame oil.  Once oil is heated add garlic and ginger and cook for about 15-30 seconds.  Quickly add brown sugar and when it is dissolved add soy sauce and beef stock.  Add sauce to beef & stir.  Add broccoli to beef then cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir and add freshly chopped green onions on top. 

This makes 4 servings.  I serve it over 1/2 cup white rice.  Each serving, with rice contained 250 mg of sodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment