Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Fresh Tomatillo Salsa


Last night's dinner was great!  And only contained 216 mg of sodium per serving.  Nothing beats fresh, homemade salsa.  I made salsa using tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, cloves garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, sea salt and lime juice.  My recipe makes approx. 4 cups of salsa, so I put it in a mason jar and it should last about 7 days or maybe a little more.  I adapted this recipe from an old Pampered Chef recipe that I had.  After making the salsa, I sauteed some boneless skinless chicken breast and poured 1/2 cup of the salsa on top just before the chicken was cooked through.  I placed a lid on it to simmer and the chicken turned out so flavorful and juicey all without seasoning the chicken.

I served the chicken with salsa over 1/2 cup of white rice with a side of sauteed summer squash and zuchini.  I couldn't believe that it was not only very low sodium but low fat and low-cal.  It was delicious.

Here's the recipe for the salsa:

6 tomatillos
1 jalapeño
1/2 an onion
4 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tomatoes
1/2 cup cilantro
1/4 tsp. sea salt 
2 TBSP lime juice

Peel and rinse tomatillos, then slice in half across the width (horizontal).  Slice onion into 2 thick, round slices & take off outer layer.  Slice jalapeño in half lenght-wise.   Place the tomatillos (sliced side down), onion, jalapeños & 3 garlic gloves on a hot griddle or large skillet.   Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until charred.  Try not to spill the tomatillo juices onto the skillet.  Depending on how spicey you want it, you should remove the seeds and ribs from the jalapeño after charring it.  Place everything in a blender or food processor.  Also add 1 more clove of un-cooked garlic, cilantro, lime juice and sea salt to the mix.  Blend until it is your desired texture.  I like mine very thin because we will add some chucky tomatoes later. 

Let the salsa cool, then add fresh, choped tomatoes to the salsa.  Depending on the taste, I may also add more fresh garlic or minced onions (your preference really).

Makes approx. 4 cups.  Contains 36 mg of sodium per 1/4 cup serving.

3 comments:

  1. This salsa is great! My favorite salsa recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'm new to the blog, but I'm so glad I found you. I suffer from high blood pressure and do take medication. I'm trying very hard to readjust my eating habits to include no sodium or low sodium meals, and I'm taking my family with me on this journey. Thanks again, and I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see your comment! His mercies are new every morning and I am so glad for that....

    "The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."

    Lamentations 3:22-23

    ReplyDelete