Saturday, May 21, 2011

Celery? For Hypertension?

I was very surprised to find out that celery, of all the veggies, has been researched and proven to work the best in lowering blood pressure among those with hypertension.  Well, since transforming our lifestyles, I have NOT had hypertension.  However, I want to stay in "preventative mode" until I've lost at least 100 lbs. and see feel that this is no longer such a dramatic change for us.

So, here's one of the many articles that I read about celery.  The emphasis is on ALL fruits and veggies, but they're saying that just 3-4 stalks of celery can lower your blood pressure.  It supposedly acts as a natural diuretic.  I find that quite surprising since celery actually contains more natural sodium than other veggies.  I first heard about it watching a video of "Dr. Helen" on Christian television website.

I may just start eating more celery.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/138916-celery-hypertension/
http://modernhealthsecrets.com/hypertension/celery-for-high-blood-pressure_615.php

2 comments:

  1. I have been prehypertensive for a while and started to exercise and run about 4 miles a week. Surprisingly my BP got worse it got as high as 154/102. I started using different herbal supplements and it slowly went down to 135/93. I mentioned it to a friend because it was still fluctuating, he told me to use celery. WOW, I ate 5 stalks in two days and it went down to 123/76. I will continue using it because I know my electrolytes are out of whack especially from exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback Dee Dee. I am glad you were able to lower your BP naturally. Celery is AMAZING, isn't it! Keep up the great work! Be enuraged that you are not alone in this. I am still reminded everyday of things that I can change to be heathier.

    ReplyDelete